Sunday, January 20, 2008

What's Left When All Is Gone?

A co-worker whom I also consider a friend had a devastating experience Tuesday. The apartment building that she had just moved into the week before caught fire from a malfunctioning furnace. Hers was one of the few apartments in which everything was totally destroyed. I repeat - everything she owned was burned up in the blaze. Ann is one of those people I felt an immediate connection with and who also has touched my heart. She has a radiant smile and attitude to match. She has been working hard - sacrificing - to get her masters in counseling and also doing various patient care duties in the hospital. Last year I gave her a colorful lab coat that was too bright for me but looked great against her brown skin. The "pretty jacket" was burned in the fire she lamented, but she was so grateful that neither she nor her daughter or grandson were hurt. While life is by far the main thing, it is hard to imagine the powerless feeling she must have had as the things she treasured and the commonplace stuff that she used everyday were quickly consumed in flames. I am sure she is still stunned by the tragedy, but her character is more focused on what she has than on what she lost. And all any of us would have left after such a horrible loss is who we are. (The picture is from the web.)

No comments: