Sunday, January 27, 2008

Back to the Kitchen

One of the benefits of the sweet church we have been a part of for over a year is that it has brought me back to an old love - cooking. And baking. For the past twenty years, we were in churches that hired caterers for events and various dinners. Just my opinion, but I always thought the old custom of sharing of home cooking was missing in them. (Maybe it is because I grew up Baptist.) After all the children left and my family responsibilities changed, I felt relieved that I didn't have to be in the kitchen so much. I even fooled myself into thinking that I didn't care if I ever baked another cookie or put together another casserole, that I was tired of it, and that all my enthusiasm for cooking and baking had been solely out of necessity. But I realize now, it isn't so. When I have music playing, an apron on, am chopping, slicing, peeling, dicing, and aromas are mixing about in the warm kitchen air, I feel grounded. So if the church has a food need, I am more than happy to do it. I also feel as if I am making a small contribution to another family, a church family.

1 comment:

Judith said...

I, too, have learned to love cooking again. I have more counter space now....which helps since I make a mess. Some of my favorite meals were at our Episcopal church dinners where we all chipped in and brought our favorite "dish" to share on Sunday evenings. It was like a family gathering. I still use some of the recipes from those dinners....recipes that were also shared.