Tuesday, January 8, 2008

January, I love you!

January has become my favorite month. Time has done it to me. Once when I was a cute leggy thing, I welcomed summer. Now January seems the best month to cover it all up. But more than the vanity, I find that as the new year settles in, so do I. Except for high power bills, January is a minimal pressure, low maintenance month, and I can deal with that. The longer period of dark has a calming effect on hyper ol' me, and I would choose to hibernate like the bears for a while if only I could. But I mustn't let myself fall into that quite yet. On this gray, overcast, cool - maybe some would call it blah - morning, I took a nice walk around the block. I have been reading about the importance of Vitamin D, and I hope some was able to get through. All seasons are lovely. Today the deciduous trees were strikingly disrobed, showing only where the squirrels nest, but the magnolias, pines, a few live oaks and Savannah hollies splashed the neighborhood with shades of deep green. The Bradford pears already have tiny buds, and in a couple of months their sweet fragrance will be causing all sorts of respiratory problems. Underneath their lack of vibrancy, they are all busily alive. Blah? I don't think so. I call it renewal and comfort. January. I thought you would never come!

1 comment:

Judith said...

I agree.......it is a great month to examine, review and be quiet. Spring and summer are high gear seasons. January just "is." You can do with it what you want since it can be molded like clay........!! Loved your descriptions......especially the part where in winter you can "cover up".......must be why us older ladies like the colder months......we can layer over our layers!!