Monday, January 7, 2008

Tending to Home

Today I am not away working and am quietly at home alone. It is good and will help to balance my head and therefore my life - for life is in the head. (And you may quote me.) I will be cleaning, doing laundry, putting things back where they belong, and finding places for new stuff. What a wonderful day it will be. When I was embarking on adulthood and eager to have my own home to tend to, I kept a little poem that I read often - it must still be in my archives somewhere - that reflected on the joys of sweeping and of keeping a house. It had a positive effect on me throughout the years. Even though I can't quote the exact lines today, its essence instilled in my psyche so that when I do housework, I feel happy to be able to take care of the home that takes care of me. I know that something is built into us females that socio-cultural trends cannot extinguish, though it seems as if it has been tried. We like to nest and we like our nests. It is instinctual, grounding us.

No comments: