Thursday, January 17, 2008

Snow in the Carolinas


When it snows in the Carolinas, it is not life as usual. Everything stops. I like it this way. When snow is predicted, people head to the grocery stores for chili fixings and stock up on bread, milk and eggs. Necessities. Although we are almost assured of being able to go back out the next day or two when the temperature rises a bit and the sun shines brightly melting the snow, we fool ourselves into thinking we have no idea how long we will be cooped up in a cozy, snow covered house and prepare for the worst. The kids are excited when school gets canceled, and moms bundle up the little ones to play in the snow. It was adventurous when I was out in it last night, but this morning it is dripping like rain, slowly melting. Soon life will become usual once again for us Carolina folks. (The snowman was visiting in the neighborhood. The trees are in my back yard.)

1 comment:

TOPolk said...

Agreed. And not only is the stoppage good for peace of mind, the snow also allows everyone to be a kid for a moment.

Wednesday night after the now, me and 84 of my closest friends all had one of the largest snowball fights I've ever been apart of. Though as a southerner, I can't say I've taken part in too many.

Good times either way.r