Monday, January 14, 2008

The Primary

This Saturday in South Carolina, we will be having a primary election. It is a big deal and has been talked about for months. This American two party system has worked out pretty well so far. Since we are called upon to align ourselves with one party or the other, I choose the Republican party. I watched some of the Republican debate on television last week. It seemed civil and generally pleasant - whatever the media called it - as the candidates opined about their issues. There were things I liked about each. I doubt Ron Paul will be our next president, but I applaud his passion for the need to change our out of control budget. Giuliani has an impressive history of leadership. I like the old warrior McCain and believe he is a patriot. I was lifted by the way Huckabee knocked it out of the park with his answer on wifely submission. Mitt Romney is smooth and attractive. And Fred Thompson? Well, he plays himself as man's best friend. I am not a politician, a military strategist, an economist, a soldier, nor an expert on the Mid-East, Washington, the federal government or the state government. I admit it. However most of us aren't, yet sometimes it seems the least knowledgeable among us are the most vociferously opinionated. That is not the case with me. However I do hope to come up with an opinion by Saturday.

No comments: