Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Solzhenitsyn's Prayer

About thirty-some years ago, I was a volunteer in an art gallery where this prayer was artfully scripted, matted and framed. I copied the words onto a piece of paper and as you can tell, I still have them. I have searched to see if it is anywhere in cyberspace and have not found it. I thought it needed to be.

How easy for me to live with you, O Lord.
How easy to believe in you.
When in confusion, my soul bares itself or bends, when the most wise can see no further than this night and do not know what the morrow brings, you fill me with the certainty that you exist, and that you watch to see that all the paths of righteousness be not closed.
From the heights of worldly glory, I am astonished by the path through despair you have provided me, this path from which I have been worthy enough to reflect your radiance to man.
All that I will yet reflect, you will grant me. And for that which I will not succeed in reflecting, you have appointed others.


Alexander Solzhenitsyn

1 comment:

Judith said...

Thank you for sharing that lovely poem from a great human being.