Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Chilly Morning

It was bound to happen on the coldest night of the year. The gas heat went out downstairs causing the indoor temperature to fall to forty-eight degrees this morning. Brrr... My poor little dog looked at me pitifully with his one good eye as if to say, "I'm freezing." Thankfully the trusty HVAC repairman was here within two hours of my early call, fixed the problem, and soon the vents were blowing out warm air. Until then, Jacob and I warmed ourselves with some hot tea and cider that had been waiting since Christmas to be opened. It was a bit of an adventure, but it made me wonder how people survived a hundred or so years ago. I think they struggled more for their very existence. We are a spoiled people. I thought this morning of those past luxuries that have become common necessities. And I was also quite appreciative of the scientists, engineers and inventors who brought central heat to homes and families.

No comments: