Sunday, January 6, 2008

Just Can't Wait

There are times when anticipation for a big life change makes the days seem to pass slowly. Like when you just can't wait to become a teenager. Then you can't wait to be old enough to get your driver's license. Aahhh...the freedom of the wheels! Then I just couldn't wait to get married and have a baby. All of my can't waits eventually turned into reality and life happened. It has been many years, but I am having an old familiar thrill churning inside that I recognize as that can't wait feeling. Now I can't wait to be old enough to get social security! Some people seem to know that one day they will reach a certain age and they plan for it. Not me. I guess I believed the future - if it was really going to come - would take care of itself. Maybe it will. I will find out soon enough. And I have enjoyed the work I began mid-life and didn't see any reason to leave it in the dust. But slowly I have become ready. Once again I see a new life ahead that is marked with freedom. (I have worked with the aging populations enough to know the bad things so don't spoil my dream.) For now I am just trying to be patient even though I just can't wait.

No comments: