Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Years Old and New

Today I practiced writing our new year, 2008. We nurses must write our names and dates a thousand times a day at least, and I want to get the new year in my head. In the previous century, 1999, I wondered what we would be calling the years in the the two thousands that wouldn't sound like something out of a sci-fi movie. Changing centuries sounded both awkward and futuristic. But the first years of the previous century were referred to as "o two" as I remember from elementary school jokes, and that is the nomenclature we have settled on now. "O six, o seven," seem to work just fine. And now it is 08. A new year is a natural time to evaluate. For the past few year ends, I have taken time to list the best and worst happenings of my life during that year. A wrap up. I find that it has helped me to resolve a few things as well as propel me toward the future. Resolutions - or long term goals - often come at the end of a frenzied finish to the year (i.e. "holidays") and can help to get us back on track. Matter of fact, I think I will go work on mine right now.

No comments: