Friday, December 14, 2007

Writing and Wellness

Tomorrow I will be attending a writing conference in Atlanta. It is a terrible time of year to have such a thing, but since it is right up my alley, I decided to go. This is the web address for it. http://www.wellnessandwritingconnections.com/
It is not geared toward making me a better writer, something I could use, but it should help me to help others. I have written off and on during my life, but for the past ten years, it has been almost daily. Sometimes there is a moment I want to capture. Other times I want to write about a meaningful event to leave as history for my grandchildren. And then sometimes writing is a way to identify what I am experiencing. That, I agree, can lead to wellness, body and mind working together. It helps that I love to play with words and combine the ones that distinctly and succinctly express my thoughts. Words are like puzzle pieces that when arranged in certain ways invoke tears, laughter, awareness, the whole realm of emotion and wonder. Many years ago when I was going through a difficult time, I felt the need to write. I knew there was a poem that lay somewhere inside that must come out. I worked and worked on it. Finally it was birthed - six lines - but they said what I felt. What a relief. Often patients share a poem with me. However it is written, I know it expresses something deep to them, just like mine did to me.

No comments: