Monday, December 3, 2007

The Rush to Christmas

This perfect and elegant Christmas tree was already up in the ice skating rink at the Galleria in Houston when I was there before Thanksgiving. Typical. We Americans have gotten used to rushing Christmas. The old traditions had Santa Claus bringing the tree on Christmas Eve after the children were asleep and leaving stockings filled with goodies. The twelve days of Christmas that we sing about began on Christmas Eve and lasted til January sixth. Not that we have to hold on to the old ways, but the commercial ones have entrenched into our culture, and have changed many family traditions. It now seems to be the norm to put a tree up around Thanksgiving. I don't get it. A whole month or more of Christmas in the house sounds a little too stimulating to me. And besides, the first couple of weeks of December have their own charm as winter settles in. However, I suppose I don't have to get it. If a month of Christmas decorations in the home really brings the joy and peace that Christmas celebrates, so be it. As usual my tree will not be up until the calendar has crossed off many more days, but it will be enjoyed as much.

No comments: