Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Cows I Mentioned

One facility where I teach clinicals is away from the noise and bustle of the big city of Greenville and across the street from a small farm where young cattle graze and socialize with each other. What a pretty scene on a misty morning, and I always wish for my camera and a good shot. As I near the parking lot, I look for them on the left. Some mornings their heads are down nibbling at the grass but other times, like yesterday, they are not out. Maybe it is too cold and their owner keeps them in somewhere. I don't know. I don't know a thing about cows except they have expressive eyes and seem to just take life as it comes. But I did pack my camera yesterday and when I got off mid-afternoon, they were out. I walked up to take some pictures. I have pulled my car over to take pictures of cows before, and have been amused. They will stop what they are doing and edge up to greet me in a curious but friendly manner. "And how can I help you?" their behavior seems to say. These black ones were a little standoffish or maybe feigning indifference, and seemed less interested in me...at least when I was using my camera. But when I walked off, they mooed loudly among themselves. "Mooo...whooo was that?" Here is a picture of two that reminded me of Ferdinand, one of my favorite books from childhood. These two seem just as content with their big tree as Ferdinand the bull did with his.

No comments: