Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas Music

When Christmas music starts playing on the radio, I am first hit with twinges of anxiety. Oh no!! It only reminds me of all that I have to do! I change stations and try to avoid facing my daunting and undone tasks. But as I inch along, fa-la-las and glorias and melodies about sleighbells creep in to my head, and I find that I am catching the Christmas spirit. Not one to do things early...by the 22nd, I will have all of my Christmas CDs out and playing my favorites over and over. I will want to satiate myself with the glorious and familiar songs of the season. I will listen to an assortment of songs that we all know, sung or played in various styles, and of course Messiah and Young Messiah. The tree, imparting a fresh evergreen scent to the living room but as yet undecorated, will be trimmed tomorrow while the music plays. In a few days while the cookies are baking, songs of Christmas will waft through the kitchen along with the bouquet of butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Ah yes...that is how it is every year once the anxiety has passed. Christmas music is a powerful motivator.

No comments: