Sunday, December 2, 2007

Seacoast Church

I made it back today...finally.
We were members of a nice church here for several years and visited many churches of different denominations, but none seemed to be a good fit. Then in October 06, enticed by an 11 o'clock service - so many churches start early now - we visited Seacoast. I immediately picked up a comfortable arty vibe. The busy corner "cafe" that served coffee and doughnuts sported a well-written welcome sign. I just knew that this was a place where I could be my fidgety self, and it would be OK. The message came to us via a huge screen. The band had a happy rock and roll sound and was loud. Just the way I like it! The male singer had a marvelous soulful voice with a good range. I turned to my husband and said, "He's really good." A few weeks later, our pastor made the announcement that this good singer was headed for Hollywood. He was Chris Sligh of AI fame. Music has always been my favorite part of church, and I have at times missed the old hymns, though not as much as I would have thought. Seacoast is a non-traditional concept and has campuses in different locations. Ours does not have its own building at present - it shares its spot with a school - but when the body gathers, it feels like church. I see Seacoast as bringing church into the 21st century. I very much love the old churches, but time moves along like an everflowing river and brings about the need for change.
A couple of months ago my husband asked, "Do you realize we are the oldest people there?"
I said, "I hadn't noticed."
Check out http://www.seacoast.org/

1 comment:

Chris Surratt said...

Thanks Susan for the nice comments! We love having you guys as a part of our church!