Saturday, December 15, 2007

Thumbprint Cookies

These are cookies that my mother made at Christmas. It is not an unusual recipe, but they are delicious and and rich and special to me. This picture does not do justice to my mother's perfect ones.

1 and 1/4 stick of butter
1/2 cup of sugar
1 egg, separated
1 and 2/3 cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
sugar
jam or jelly

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolk and mix well. Blend in flour and lemon rind. Form the dough in a long roll about the diameter of a fifty cent piece. The dough at this point may need to chill a bit. Cut into slices. Make a thumbprint in the center of each cookie. Brush with the unbeaten egg white and dip in sugar. Put a dab of jam in the thumbprint. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Makes about thirty cookies. Also can freeze the roll and take it out to slice and bake when ready.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Yummy! How did this post sneak in here and get by me....

Anonymous said...

Yummy cookies!!! I really enjoyed them today and am going to make them tomorrow! Caroline will shake when she tastes them; she will appreciate that it is Monnas's recipe! Thank you for sharing! I love you Grandmommy:0) Sal