Saturday, December 22, 2007

Mama's Annual Christmas Visit

Mama was my mother's mother and my wonderful grandmother. I have always felt truly blessed to have been the granddaughter of this marvelous woman who radiated joy and left a legacy of abiding faith. She lived to be eighty-eight, passing away on Thanksgiving of 1978. A couple of weeks after her death, one of my children brought home an art project he made at school using a textile cone, paper mache, glue, paint, tinsel and cotton - an angel for the top of the Christmas tree. It was incredible! "That looks just like Mama!" I exclaimed. Ever since then, Mama, the tree topper angel, has presided over the snowmen, nutcrackers, glass balls, and the treasured ornaments on every tree we have had. She is a little worn yet still brings joy after almost thirty years and is my most beloved part of the tree. Here she is resting in the branches before being placed in her position of honor.

1 comment:

Judith said...

Grandmothers are special people in most everyone's family......at least that was the case in mine. Someday your dear grandchildren will have you on the top of their Christmas tree as their "special Mama Angel!!"