Monday, April 26, 2010

Still a Fan After All These Years

Since I was captivated by all things French, it is understandable that I would love the singing of Edith Piaf. I heard "Milord" when I was a mid-teen, and though I did not understand any of the lyrics, I loved the lilt of her perfectly tuned, fine voice and the way she carried the emotion. I have always read anything I could find about her and her humble, harsh, and fascinating life, and last week borrowed an old video from the library that is actually of the "Little Sparrow" herself. Though she had many people and loves in her life, she was most passionate about singing, and said, "Love without singing is no use, neither is singing without love. You have to have both." I suppose that is what we really heard in her incomparable sound. Here she is on the Ed Sullivan Show maybe in 1959. http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=XBW-UEbOfyQ&feature=related

No comments: