Tuesday, April 27, 2010

It's Worth a Try

I have been loving to take pictures even more since I discovered digital photography a few years ago, and have amassed quite a collection in my computer that I enjoy revisiting frequently, and of course I like to pass them along via my blogs. Since I really like several of them, I wondered if anyone else would, and finally came to grips with the fact none of them will ever be "out there" unless I am willing to get them framed nicely. So last week I had the bright idea of talking with the folks at a neighborhood frame shop. "I need help," I told the nice young man who met me at the desk. I told him I had hundreds of photographs and a few were good enough to share, I thought, and could he help. After my humorous monologue - I could tell because he laughed a lot - he suggested I come back today when the manager would be in. I might add the small shop sells a lot of original art and nicely framed photos. Meanwhile I chose about forty various pictures and had 5 x 7s and  few 8 x 10s made (at Costco) and felt brave when I carried them in for judging. Nobody likes to be critiqued unless it is good. Just watch the faces of the reality talent show contestants! As it turned out they did like them, most of them, and gave me advice on what potential buyers may like. I heard "Lighthouses don't sell" as I thought they might when I showed my best photo of the one at Cape Hatteras, and I learned that people don't usually buy ones with people in them no matter how discreetly they are in the scene. Nevertheless they liked enough of the ones I brought in to offer me to be their "Artist of the Month" in August. Bells rang as the lofty, happy thought went through my head. I don't know if I will be here in August, but by darn, I will have some of my photographs hanging in the shop, even if I have to drive back to do it. And if none of them sell - oh well - at least I will have some nice pictures for my walls.

No comments: