Saturday, April 10, 2010

Reading Glasses

If you live long enough, say to forty or so, and have perfect vision, you will be needing a pair of these eventually. It was a hard thing to face and quite frustrating at first, but I was definitely not ever going to wear a pair of those silly looking spectacles. As it got tougher to read anything in print and my arms could not stretch far enough to hold the paper, I was forced to adopt the habit. This year I decided I needed more than reading glasses and found an optometrist who agreed with me. My vision wasn't too far off thankfully, and I was happy to get my first pair of real glasses. I suppose I could have tried harder but the progressive lens made me a little dizzy and I couldn't wear them for long at a time. I had to look down to read and straight out for other things and the periphery was fuzzy, and except for thinking the glasses were cool, I wasn't liking them or adapting well. I had worn reading glasses too long. Since it had been a while since I had any new ones - they do break and scratch and go out of style - I bought some this week. Six of them. The most expensive was seven dollars and the rest I found for three or four. I need weaker ones for the computer and stronger ones for reading in bed at night. And of course sometimes they just need to match my mood. Old habits are hard to break.

No comments: