Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sports News

One of the things I enjoyed so much when my children were growing up was going to all of their sports events. It was like the reward for all my hard work, the icing on the cake. Oh...I am sure I embarrassed them all a few times with my enthusiasm, but they got over it. They participated in soccer the first year it was offered in our area, and it was a learning experience for us all. One of the coaches used to tell them, "Don't bunch up!" (The expression became one of my own and I used it with my nursing sudents who were in the psychiatric milieu for the first time and seeking comfort from one another.) The first place I went after my last baby was born was to a swim meet, and every Monday through Thursday in summer found us down the hill on the baseball field. One season Trip was catcher and Stuart was pitcher - on the same team. I was impressed the year Peter swam a mile when he was in scout camp. Today I missed an event. Stuart, now 43, participated in his first triathlon. He has been running for a while but had swum only four times since he was a teen. And biking is a new activity for this time in his life. Nevertheless he finished where he was aiming, somewhere in the middle of the pack. And I wasn't even there to cheer him on.

No comments: