Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Starting the Garden

There is nothing I like more than to play in the dirt, and yesterday as I was planting my garden, I did just that. My jean covered knees were coated with beautiful earth, and by dark and I had a few body aches in places that have not been stretched lately, but it was worth it. My summer garden is nothing more than a small area in my back yard, but it brings me endless delights each year. As there is no way to predict when the house will sell, I decided to go ahead and plant. I had worked the soil for the past few weeks and it was ready, rich, dark and friable, and I think I had more earthworms this year than any. A really good sign. And Stuart had done his part in early fall by covering it with a layer of various old yard clippings that turned into a most useful humus. I dropped some zinnia and daisy seeds in neat furrows and cleome seeds randomly in another spot. I had bought the packets for twenty-five cents and hope they grow. The cucumber seeds were placed in two mounds and the basil seeds scattered in a patch. I planted four celebrity tomato plants and one tomato plant that will bear the tiny, sweet, yellow, pear-shaped variety. I saved some space for a couple more tomatoes and whatever else may strike my fancy. It doesn't sound like much, but it makes me a happy camper. If I am not around to reap the fruit of my labor someone else will. After all, we plant for the future.

No comments: