Sunday, May 17, 2009

Today's Adventures

Today's main event was taking an evening cruise aboard a catamarand that left from Captiva Island in search of dolphins in the Pine Island Sound. We did see a few but mostly I just enjoyed all the pretty scenery.

Around the marina was a manatee and her baby as well as pelicans, a great blue heron, and this great egret, larger than the ones on Lighthouse Beach yesterday and with black legs. I watched him wade around and decided he must be the giraffe of the bird world.

We ate dinner at a local place that offered frog legs and alligator on its menu but we opted for the traditional seafood items. It was just what we wanted! Then we found our way to a small public parking area with a walkway to the beach. I searched for shells and found some nice scallop shells that I would not see on the Carolina coast, some lady slippers (I think that is what I used to call them), and some other small, pretty bivalves.

No comments: