Monday, May 11, 2009

Cool Cogitations

After more rain it is a chilly overcast day here in Greenville, and the bugs are mostly staying in. I did get some nice shots of that tiny green fly on the little green leaf and tried for more, but no luck. Such is life. I can get lost in my meanderings around my yard and can relate to Thoreau as he studied life in his changing surroundings. Today I watched as a single bee quickly ravaged many small white blooms on an old holly, flinging the unwanted parts to the ground, and I wondered why I had not noticed the flowers before. I admired the magnificent design in one of last season's yellowed leaves that was trapped in some tall grass, and listened to the sundry bird songs above. Many years ago I took Astronomy and Microbiology within a year of each other, and the classes, going from the infinitely large to the infinitely small, expanded my thinking. We live in such a minute section of time and space, yet our lives and what we do with them are important. There is a lot to ponder out there in nature.

No comments: