Saturday, May 30, 2009

Cherries

It was a year ago this week that I was in the South of France and it was cherry season just as it is now. The acres of orchards that we passed on our daily outings were dotted with sparkling red cerises. And we enjoyed them, too, for breakfast each morning, sweet and delicious. I am not aware of any orchards here, but at least I can buy them in season like these from Whole Foods.

As I was going through a new patients belongings many years ago, I found a can of cherries. Now that was unusual! He explained that he needed them in case his gout flared up. He was right. Cherries are known to be natural anti-inflammatories and they have many other health benefits as well. They are what I now call "real food," not one of man's concoctions that really don't do our bodies any favors.

No comments: