Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Shells

I acquired a love of all things beachy from my mother and of course that includes sand and shells. I had heard that Sanibel Island was place with white sand and great shelling so I wanted to see for myself. As with most places I visit I didn't get to stay long enough, but I am glad that I did get to its beautiful shores and find it all to be true. This morning I finally opened the bags of shells that I brought back. They were a little smelly so I washed them and am letting them dry before I put them away. Most of the scallop shells were recycled in the waters by Mother Nature, and the few whelk type shells I found were broken and no longer inhabited by small sea creatures. The Sanibel shells are on the towel. The jar holds already washed shells from Bonita Beach. Shells are a little like us. Each one is different and each may be made more beautiful from use and brokenness.

No comments: