Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Cell Story

Cell phones are staples in our culture, gotta have items not only for communication, but I have noticed they are also the pocket watches of this century. I lost mine two months ago, the LG that I had for close to three years. It had all my numbers and a picture to go with almost each contact, and the rings notified me who was calling: Beethoven's Fifth for the hubby, Hallelujah Chorus for Rob, The Entertainer for work, and so on. What a helpful buddy. But one sad afternoon between stops at Publix and the gas station, my faithful and familiar phone "went missing" as is said on the news about people who have probably been abducted or murdered. We retraced my steps and called my number all over the place, but there were no sightings or hearings. We hastened to the the Verizon Store to replace it, as if any beloved item could actually be replaced. My geeky side had been thinking a Blackberry would be cool, and I often dreamed (only in the literary sense) of keeping one by my side. So a Blackberry it was, and was I lucky. I could upgrade for free, and the Storms were on sale. BOGO. Though I did enjoy the unnecessary retrieval of my email as it came in, I soon started to whine about the Storm's bulkiness, and when I was actually using it as a phone, I complained that the voice on the other end was barely audible. And the money! What I could do with the cost of it over a two year period! Yesterday I traded down with a guy who wanted a Storm and I got his Motorola flip phone. I can hear well on this functional phone, but it isn't cute. Can I ever be satisfied! I have a feeling I will be looking for a comfortable, new and pretty LG tomorrow. Gotta have it.

No comments: