Saturday, August 21, 2010

Reading and Writing

This afternoon I went back to help with the huge book sale fundraiser. After checking in I was assigned a post in Biography. I was to keep the tables as neat as possible and answer questions that the shoppers may ask. My knowledge was small, but I did please one young woman who asked if we had anything on Abigail Adams. I had to tell her that I hadn't seen anything, but my recommendation of Those Who Love, one of my all time faves, seemed to be a hit. However my most common reply to a question was, "I'm sorry but I don't know where the restroom is."

By the time I arrived at the Biography tables many people had already come through the old mall for this yearly event. But there was still plenty of enthusiasm among the polite crowd. Book lovers were milling around, carrying stacks or bags of books. Some stopped to read and got engrossed. I got familiar with all the titles in my section as I walked around and straightened the volumes. I saw that books that were hot hits when they came out were hoping to be being sold for a dollar. Kennedy titles languished, and Joined by the Heart by Al and Tipper Gore got a lot of quiet laughs. One thing was for sure in the non-fiction section. There are a whole lot of people want to voice their opinions via the written word.

No comments: