Friday, August 13, 2010

Remembering Mama

She always said thirteen was her lucky number because she was born on August 13th - one hundred and twenty years ago! It was a little extra glue in our bond that we shared the same birthday month. Mama has been gone for thirty-two years now, and I was privileged to be with her as she drew her last breath - as I should have been. It was a sort of reciprocal thing. She was outside the delivery room as I was drawing my first, and I often heard the story of the wonderful day when I came into the world. My grandmother has been the most influential person in my life, not only because of what she was to me when I was a rambunctious, curly haired little girl but what she remains to me today in my current role of senior family member and grandmother. Leaving a legacy of remarkable faith, joy, and good humor, I lovingly remember Mama not only on her birthday but throughout the year(s).

No comments: