Friday, March 18, 2011

Thanks, Hannah

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of faraway places with exotic wide eyed children who dressed in clothes far different from mine, and who spoke a language I couldn't understand. I wondered how they lived, and what they ate, and what their school was like. Twice I had short penpal correspondences with girls in other parts of the world, and getting letters from them that came all the way across the ocean to my front door was so exciting! How the world has shrunk since those days! Throughout the "civilized" world, style is now pretty much the same, we share much of the same knowledge, and definitely have access to the same technology that allows for almost instantaneous communication. I don't get many comments on my blog but was so pleased to see one from Hannah in Ireland, a lovely place I would love to visit someday. It had me humming Galway Bay, picturing shamrocks and green hills, and reminded me of those penpals from long ago.

No comments: