Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The White Coat

The way we dress does make a difference. Last summer when I went back to work, I bought a new white lab type coat and had my name and title stitched beneath the lapel one the left side under the hospital logo. I thought it would be appropriate for my new non-patient care role, and besides, it is really cold in the office where I spend a lot of time. But I have noticed that it must make me look pretty important by the respect the jacket is given. When I stop at the grocery store on the way home, people defer to me. Cars wait patiently while I cross the street. I don’t know who they think I am, but I am the same regular person who gets no special treatment when I go to the store in my jeans and sweatshirt. What a lab coat can do to get a little respect.

No comments: