Monday, March 7, 2011

Hard to figure

At my hospital and I suppose it is the same as any hospital, I see discharged patients being picked up in dilapidated old cars that rumble and spurt, and I pray that they will make it home safely. The Bible said the poor will always be with us, and I think that over the last fifty years someone somewhere saw a way to capitalize on them via “healthcare.” They are the ones who know less about most things including how to take care of themselves, and as a result, have more problems that are turned over to doctors and nurses, people like me, the many of us who benefit from the impoverished. Sometimes I see smug faces on the well dressed employees - I imagine I have had many a similar expression myself - that say we know more than they do and are glad not to be on the consuming end of medicine. Of course any of us is susceptible to illness, but it does seem that the unfortunate have more than their share of medical and mental misfortune. The economics of it is over my head, but I think there must be a circuitous pattern that centers around state and federal funding that causes all of us to use each other. It is financially and socially complicated.

No comments: