Monday, January 3, 2011

Presidential Last Words - Maybe

For most of us humans, our first word is "dada," which is apparently pretty easy to say. But last words are something else. If a person has time to prepare, he will often say something that is representative of his character. I find that interesting.

"I feel myself going. I thank you for your attentions, but I pray you take no more trouble about me. Let me go off quietly. I cannot last long."

later . . ."Tis well."
George Washington
December 14, 1799

"Is it the fourth?"
Thomas Jefferson
July 3, 1826

"Thomas Jefferson still survives."
John Adams
July 4, 1826

"This is the last of earth. I am content."
John Quincy Adams
February 21, 1848

"I love you Sarah. For all eternity, I love you."
James K. Polk
June 15, 1849

"Approaching death to me is a mere shadow of God's protecting wing."
Andrew Johnson
June 9, 1873

"It's useless, Gentlemen. I think we ought to have a prayer."
William McKinley
September 13, 1901

"I have a terrific headache."
Franklin Roosevelt
April 12, 1945

"I want to go. God take me."
Dwight Eisenhower
March 28, 1969

No comments: