Monday, January 10, 2011

One thing to do when it snows

The ground was covered in a beautiful white snow when I got up this morning, and more fell as the day went on. As lovely as it looked, I exercised my option as a retired person to stay inside, except for a quick trip to the deck to take a picture of the backyard. I was pleased with my decision, but if I have too many days like this, I will be chopping off the end of my life expectancy. It was go to the refrigerator, read, cook, watch television, drink something hot, read, eat something else, etc.

The morning began with some delicious old fashioned Russian Tea.
This is how I made it.

Squeeze the juice from two oranges and one lemon. Set aside. Put the rinds in a saucepan and cover generously with water. Add some cinnamon sticks and cloves. Let it come to a boil and boil gently about ten minutes. Meanwhile make some strong tea. I used one family sized tea bag. Add sugar to taste. Drain the nice liquid from the fruit and spices you boiled, and then mix that with the tea and the juices. Serve hot!

I usually don’t fix this unless I have a cold and need healing, but today was great to treat myself to it, too.

No comments: