Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Time for Contentment

Advice given to beginning writers is "write what you know." Right now all I know is that I am still in the honeymoon phase of my retirement, and that is what I have to write about. At the risk of sounding disgustingly cheerful, I feel like I just want to bask here for a while. Life on earth has taught me that honeymoons end, everything changes, happiness is for seasons, so that gives me more reason to savor this happy time.

I was once a young mother who expected life to be smooth sailing, and when gusts blew my sails I was frustrated, overwhelmed. When I reached my middle fifties, I realized that life is not supposed to be easy, that in reality Life is Hard, but that is how we grow and learn and our character is built. When I adjusted my thinking and accepted that truth, my life actually became easier. (Life being in the head.) There is always something to work at or work toward or struggle with, and that is how it is. But once in a while, we hit a place where we can pause and enjoy, and I am enjoying that place as long as the season lasts.

No comments: