Sunday, May 2, 2010

Downtown Hike

Trying to find something to do that suited my current interests, I signed up in April for what I thought was a photography "class" on May 1. I arrived at the museum by nine yesterday and met with the others. One was a cheerful sprite of a woman who was decked out in hiking gear and holding a walking stick that was lined with what she said were medallions from various trails she had been on. I knew I was in trouble. Oh well, she said...the older flyers had stated that this was to be a hike. She was the day's companion to a well known local photographer/artist, and the two led our excursion. Thankfully I had chosen comfy shoes and had packed a PB&J. We trekked around town for six hours in the mist and the heat, the energetic sprite in the lead, and snapped pictures of five churches inside and out, all built in the mid to late 1800s. Our first stop was the beautiful Episcopal church that I have been wanting to visit ever since I have lived here. Inside were rows of rich old heart pine pews and many fine stained glass windows such as the one here. The three men in our group carried big tripods on their shoulders and set up shop at each church. I believe they will have some marvelous shots. The other two women with their small digitals were less familiar with the technical aspects of photography and were in it more for fun as I was. Although I was exhausted when I got home, and found I did not have a really good one out of all the pictures I took, I still had a wonderful time.

No comments: