Monday, June 29, 2009

A Sweet Addiction

Though I am now able to pass by the ice cream section without drooling outside the frosted doors, I do give in to temptation on occasion, like yesterday in Bloom when Breyer's was two for the price of one. I like "All Natural" the best and bought some vanilla to top hot brownies or maybe peach cobbler and, for old time's sake, some butter pecan. When I treat myself to Breyer's butter pecan it takes me back to maybe about 1960. Our neighborhood had been selected as a test area for a new ice cream, and we got a few unlabeled half gallons of butter pecan. Its consistency and slight taste of salted pecans was different from anything we'd had before. Though quite frankly we would have preferred anything chocolate, we rated it delicious. After it had been marketed in our part of the South for awhile, we knew the taste test was definitely Breyer's. I have loved just about any and all ice cream. I craved peppermint from Howard Johnson's during my first two pregnancies, and I have strayed into the wonderful flavors of Mayfield, but I have always come home to Breyer's. For too many years I enjoyed ice cream therapy as there is something comforting about the its cool smooth experience. But a few years ago, I was able to kick my fattening habit through a change of perspective. It wasn't so hard. Now I am able to eat it "responsibly."

No comments: