Friday, June 12, 2009

Hide those tats!

It's pretty hard to go anywhere, especially now that it's summer, without running into some yucky images on shoulders, forearms, hips, breasts and other body parts that were once considered private. gross. I don't understand tattoos. Why? I am standing in line behind a young woman who has a cobra tattoed on the back of her neck, and I ask - why? Some tattoos look like the unfortunate person has a bad bruise and then I realize the bruise is there to stay. Why? And why, if you are a non-Asian American, the indelible, eternal mark of a Chinese symbol? I have had patients who say getting tattoos is an addiction. I have had conversations with young women who feel tattoos make them different, special. Why? Don't they realize when each of us is special and unique enough? Men in undershirts/tank tops showing off their multiple tats, women in low slung pants with permanent hip decorations, low cut tops showing roses on pendulous breasts. Cover them please!

No comments: