Monday, June 15, 2009

Omnia Vanitas

That darned mirror. Every summer I see more and more physical changes that go with aging. First I must say that I don't mind aging, in fact I am thankful for it and like where I am now, but youth and middle age...everything fades. I must have been in my early twenties when I first noticed the little indentations in the skin between my eyes. Silly me. I blamed it on squinting during a time at the beach when I didn't have sunglasses. One year I was shocked to see lines at the corners of my mouth and vowed to smile more so they would turn up instead of down. I have adapted to thinner hair, drier skin, and chin hairs, but last night was really sad. As I was washing my face before bed, I found that my formerly luxuriously long eyelashes had become stubby. Did it happen suddenly? Or had I been spreading the mascara on so hurriedly and systematically over the past few years that I just haven't noticed? All is vanity. I am sure no one else noticed either.

No comments: