Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Passion?

For several years now there have been articles, books and television personalities encouraging us regular folks to find our passions. I don't know how other people are doing on their quest but so far I haven't identified my one. The quizzes and soul searching have led me nowhere. If after years of self examination we are left empty, does that mean we are guilty of being boring, inept, unsuccessful, or worthless? Does it mean we will always have suppressed creativity or ideas yearning to be set free like a butterfly from a cocoon? Should we feel guilty? Van Gogh had a burning compulsion to paint. Elvis had to sing. Edison had to invent. Donald Trump has to be a wheeler-dealer. Now those are passions! But how do the other approximately 99% of us passionless people manage to find pleasure in living? We are "generalists" I think. We are free to do and to enjoy many things, to let our passions move about. While I am thankful for the people who are either blessed or cursed with driving forces to create and discover, there must also be people like me to enjoy their art and music, to use their tools and inventions, to learn from their teachings. Maybe being a generalist in passion is OK.

1 comment:

Judith said...

I think you have so many passions that you cannot choose one. But I see your passions as writing, nursing, photography and being a wonderful grandmother.......and a passion for being near the ocean.