Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Story Behind the Flower

It has now been twelve years since I worked as a home health nurse, an experience I wouldn't change for anything. The company that hired me had not had a psych nurse before, and from the reception I got at first, the capable medical nurses there were dubious about what I could contribute. Eventually however I settled comfortably into my role, visiting psych only patients as well as some of their patients who were difficult to handle. One of theirs, an elderly woman who called the office practically every day with questions or complaints, was handed over to me. I do not remember her name, but she lived alone out in the country and was quite a spirited chatterbox. She loved her yard and was especially proud of her day lilies and their beautiful double flowers. She offered me some, I accepted, and one spring day I dug up a clump and took it home to my own yard. Then when we moved to Greenville I brought some with me. The patient has probably long gone on, but each summer when her lilies grow tall and bloom I remember her interesting personality and the lasting gift she gave me.