Thursday, January 8, 2009

Where have all the bugs gone?

Not one snowflake has fallen and I suspect we have not seen the coldest part of our winter here. When I lived in Columbia, a hotter climate often besmitten by gnats and other undesirable insects, we used to love it when the temperature was below freezing for a few days. "That'll help kill the bugs," we all agreed. But a hundred miles to the west, we don't have to be that thrilled with cold unless you're a kid and school lets let out for snow. But I still like bugs in general, just about all of them but roaches, flies, and that nasty old "palmetto bug" that can't outrun or outsmart my cats in wintertime. Still I wonder where are they now? I suppose they all have their different habitats and life spans, but if I wanted to do a bug portrait today, I would be hard pressed to find one of any kind. Maybe that is a good thing.

No comments: