Saturday, January 3, 2009

Chilling out

Lively December, dressed in its splashy reds and greens and scented with evergreen and Eastern spices, has thankfully passed. The quiet month of January has begun. I welcome the misty gray of the cold mornings and the quietude it brings to my brain. Like the squirrels nesting in the trees, I enjoy being in, listening to the hum of silence or the mewling of my cats or the music of my choosing from my tinny old CD player as I regroup, renew. Mugs of steamy tea, coffee and cocoa, finding more favor in this month than any, keep my hands and heart warm. And by this third day into the year, I find I have some new stuff to play with. The well chosen Christmas gifts that I only gave a perfunctory thank you for on the family days have been carefully pored over and are being enjoyed. January. The coolest month.

No comments: