Monday, January 26, 2009

My Community Service Work

I enjoy teaching nursing students about psych patients. Most of what they see is new to them and through their eyes I see my work differently. Once I took even newer nursing students to a medical setting for their first hospital experiences. They assessed their one patient, changed sheets, passed trays, and helped with other things that are done in hospitals. I felt like a first grade teacher as I tried to teach some basics while easing their anxieties. Now I do only psych and substance abuse. I haven't done hospital corners on sheets in quite a while! Sometimes we get a patient who has been on the news, a missing person for instance, much like the father/grandfather in Florida who was in the news today. But most are plain old struggling people, neither famous or infamous. I am thankful to know something well enough to pass it along to the next generation and I am quite sure that is the main reason I do it. I feel like it is my duty.

No comments: