Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration Commentary

I was at my workplace early yesterday because I had no excuse not to be. There was none of the expected overnight winter precipitation to cover the roads and give us the snow day we wanted, so I had to show up and meet and teach my first group of nursing students for 2009. About noon, when the patients left for the cafeteria and my students for the hospital food court, about twenty of us employees - diversity at work - stood together in the the small common area where the new high def tv hangs to watch the inauguration. I didn't stay much beyond Rick Warren's prayer, but during it everyone was quietly respectful except for two of BO's outspoken supporters, an agnostic and a Muslim, who made some asides about getting on with the program. But as I wandered and talked and picked up bits and pieces during the rest of the ceremony, I felt a swelling pride in some of my black friends. Now I don't know if that same sort of feeling is there over Bill Cosby or Condoleeza Rice but Obama really seems to connect with them and also tickle the ears of others. He appeals more to contemporaries of my children and younger who must have some feelings of being cut off, of abandonment or aimlessness, and not so much to an older, responsible me, one who has seen the strength and good in America and Americans. He is a role model for many and seems to love his family; maybe this will be a good influence on followers who need it. As for me, I will not put my hope in mortal man, but in Jesus Christ and I will continue to be thankful for the freedom that I have in him.

No comments: