Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The New Chief

My grandmother didn't believe the US could or would put a man on the moon. We teased her and argued that yes it would happen, and after much effort and hype, the eagle landed in front of the watching world on a dark night July 1969. My grandmother had to eat crow. Sometimes we can strongly believe something and still be wrong.

The inauguration is today and America will crown its new president. I did not vote for him. Maybe if I hadn't felt that there was so much deception and lying and evading the truth, I would feel more comfortable with this man's character. Maybe if there were fewer ambiguities and gray areas and incongruencies I would have more confidence in him. Maybe if more people whose opinions I respect had seen some practices and abilities that would serve him well as president I would think more favorably of him.

Nevertheless he will take the mantle of our country's leadership, and though I am not a follower, millions of voting Americans are. Since some of our earthly fate lies in his hands, I will be praying for him to make wise decisions and will certainly wish him well. I hope that just like my grandmother before me, I will have to eat crow in a few years.

No comments: