Friday, November 14, 2008

A Pet Peeve

I am not a guy.
When the hubby and I went to a Mexican restaurant recently, a young male waiter with a thick accent asked, "What can I get you guys?" I really wanted to reprimand him right there on the spot and tell him what I thought of his impolite and inaccurate reference to me, but I smiled and silently fumed. I am not a guy, I wanted to tell him. I am a girl and proud of it! When I was in France, I was addressed as "madame" and in the Philippines, it was "ma'am" pronounced mom. They noticed I was not a guy. What is wrong with America! Why has the male word guy come into popularity as a genderless address! I do not want to hear, "Hi Guys," "Bye Guys" or any form of guy when I am being spoken to. Any decent Southerner should be familiar with the appropriate use of the word y'all, which works just fine as does the plural you. Next time, I think I will speak up. Maybe some whippersnapper can learn a thing or two about politeness.

1 comment:

kvtravis said...

also a pet peeve of dad's. "my wife and daughters are not guys." ya'll must have discussed! :)