Sunday, November 23, 2008

Easy to Remember

Each year that passes, there are fewer of us who can answer the question, "What were you doing when Kennedy was shot?" Here is my brief, sad but happy story.

I was at my part time job that Friday November 22 when a co-worker came through with the terrible news. "The president's been shot!" I remember him announcing in disbelief. Prior to that climactic moment, I was excitedly focusing on my friend Connie's wedding the next day in which I was to be the maid-of-honor. In 1963 news traveled just about as fast as today, and by the time I made it to the beauty shop for my hair and nails, the whole world had changed. It had become dismal and depressed as if covered by an ominous gray cloud. Some people were crying and no one could comprehend the shocking event.

The rehearsal was still held that evening as planned. Though everyone tried to push their stunned emotions aside and be joyful for the bride and groom, a somber mood prevailed. Thankfully the wedding went off perfectly the next afternoon and a new family was established. The good news is I have no problem remembering their anniversary. And now forty-five years later, they are celebrating a long and happy life together.

1 comment:

Henry Martin said...

I remember - 4th grade, Thanksgiving program in the gym. As we returned to the classrooms, the announcement came. The governor of Texas and the president had been shot.

I remember thinking that maybe the governor would die, but not the president!

I was wrong.

After about a week I got back to eagerly awaiting the next space shot, or perhaps the next Cub Scout outing.

President Reagan seems to have broken the "curse" on the presidency. But just the same, pray for Bush as he faces the end of his two terms which began after being elected in the twentieth year (2000).