Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Part of Academia...at last

My six students had attended therapy groups and had done a great job of talking 1:1 with not only their assigned patients but also others. We finished the evaluations, discussed a few interesting situations, and then I let them out the door. I had to stay for a few minutes to make a phone call before getting my notebook, bag and coat from the locker. In the nurses station Dr. Parsons was teaching the medical student who had accompanied him on rounds today how to write prescriptions. The pharmacy student who was being mentored by the PharmD was researching in his textbook. The social work student was sitting at a round table gathering a history from a new patient. Our hospital is considered a teaching hospital and is affiliated with several schools and universities. I thought how glad I was to be part of this academic setting that provides so much more than a classroom can. If I weren't teaching clinicals, I would be itching to do so.

No comments: