Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It is getting close to tummy ache time

A couple of weeks ago Peter quietly commented that his favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal is the casseroles, and I have distorted it into an ultimatum. The thought - I must fix good casseroles - is driving my menu planning. I think he likes the marshmallow topped sweet potatoes the best, but this year I may vary it by adding a little fresh grated ginger. I was so glad to see the Campfire brand marshmallows in the store because no others turn that wonderful puffy brown on the top of those fragrant rich orange potatoes. Coming in second for Peter is the squash casserole, the one with sour cream and grated carrots and very yummy. We will also have the green bean casserole, but because I like to torture myself and do nothing the easy way, I will use fresh beans, then saute the mushrooms and make a cream sauce. I saw a broccoli pudding recipe I will probably try. It is another over the top, high calorie dish but hey...it's Thanksgiving! This afternoon I splurged and bought an organic free range fresh turkey from Whole Foods and some Riesling wine. The meal is shaping up. Now I just have to pull it all together. But when the day arrives, I will have some good helpers. Now that is something to be thankful for!

No comments: